[xquery-talk] Looking to use XQuery as a reporting language

Michael Rys mrys at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 10 15:14:37 PDT 2005

What about writing

Best regards

Michael

________________________________

From: talk-bounces at xquery.com [mailto:talk-bounces at xquery.com] On Behalf
Of Nikolas Everett
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 1:52 PM
To: talk at xquery.com
Subject: [xquery-talk] Looking to use XQuery as a reporting language

I've been looking into ways to do reports from one XML data set to
another.  When I found XQuery just last Friday I thought that I had hit
the jackpot!  A simple, functional language that both queries and
outputs XML.  All is going well, but I am having some trouble with
output formatting, and I wonder if anyone could help me out.

It looks as though function calls can only return three things in
XQuery:

1.  Some data (xs:string, xs:integer, or whatever)
2.  An XML subtree
3.  A tuple of XML subtrees

My problem is that I have only found one way to return number 3:  the
FLWOR clauses.  I am looking for something slightly more general.  I
would like to make a function return something more like:
<foo>Some Text</foo>
<bar>Some More Text</bar>

I would read the specs, but they are so huge that I honestly don't know
where to start.

--Nik