[xquery-talk] Count of Distinct elements performance problem

Jason Hunter jhunter at servlets.com
Tue Aug 22 13:35:31 PDT 2006

Michael Kay wrote:
> A performance question like this can only be answered with respect to
> a specific product.

Exactly.  With MarkLogic, a server-based indexed repository from the
company where I work (marklogic.com), you could execute a query like
that in roughly a second, once the document was loaded and indexed.  In
fact, functionality exactly like what you're trying to do is used by
large medical journal aggregator customers of ours to display citation
counts of articles, for example.

Without an indexed repo, I think you're going to have a hard time.

-jh-