[xquery-talk] performance figures for xquery processors

Liam Quin liam at w3.org
Mon Feb 6 16:48:03 PST 2006

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 12:52:18PM -0800, manavaputra at yahoo.com wrote:
> Wonder, if any one has done performance testing on
> xquery processors that have java API and has some data
> to share with. I have recently picked saxon for xquery
> because of its reputation with XSLT and also being
> used for conformance testing in the xquery
> standardisation process.

We (W3C) are not using Saxon for conformance testing -- we don't
do conformance testing.  Mike Kay (Saxonica) has submitted test
results for Saxon 8 / Saxon SA, but the purpose of these tests is
to show us (W3C0 that the specification can be implemented, not to
show that ny particular product conforms or does not conform.

> I am not sure if there is a
> good competitor that i could evaluate and compare. If
> there is one, please do recommend it to me.

It depends on your queries and your data as to which product will
be fastest for you.  For the image search at
http://fromoldbooks.org/Search/
I found that Qizx/open was faster than Saxon for my particular queries,
but that was a year ago, and maybe now it would be different.
There are quite a few XQuery implementations listed on
http://www.w3.org/XML/Query/ that may be of interest.

The choice of XML parser also makes a big difference to speed.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/