[xquery-talk] flowrrr - how to structure a function?

Martin Probst martin at x-hive.com
Tue Oct 17 21:06:19 PDT 2006

Hi,

> I wonder how other processors work. I read somewhere that you can
> use Saxon as eXist's XQuery processor, which I intend to do for
> validity and performance comparisons.
>
> Do other processors evaluate sequences in order?

X-Hive will currently evaluate the function calls in order, but we
actively warn our customers that this might not always be the case.
There is little reason to change the order of evaluation in this
example, but in other examples the implementation might decide to
change that.

I think having functions that have side effects is always a dangerous
thing. Specifically when writing web applications this is a problem -
people need all those "redirect" and "set cookie" things. My idea at
solving that would be to rather return an XML document format that
describes the whole HTTP response. E.g. have response:redirect($code,
$uri) actually return a value, <?web-request redirect $code $uri ?>,
and the wrapper around that should interpret the results. With XQJ
and the servlet API, it might even be possible to write something
cross-implementation.

Regards,
Martin

--