[xquery-talk] The State of Native XML databases

bryan rasmussen rasmussen.bryan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 11:32:41 PDT 2007

The following quibbles:

1. I think Exist is able to handle better than a low volume blog, from
the Exist roadmap http://exist.sourceforge.net/roadmap.html "if a huge
number of documents (> 100,000) is stored in a collection, queries
across the whole collection will spend a major part of the query time
just for loading the document descriptors".
>From my experience dependent on how you structure your collections and
the nature of your markup (for example some markup formats require you
to split things into many tiny documents thus allowing you to end up
with lots and lots of documents in a collection). Also, a trick here,
if you run several Exist databases side by side with a front end to
get the data performance for me has improved (this of course limits
the way you will structure your applications). I guess it depends on
what you consider low volume, currently in a demo app I have 21,417
XML documents of various document types are handled (these were just
dumped from strings from an SQL database) but the application is not
designed to be internet accessible either, so that performance vector
is not a problem for me.

2. I think you should have something about Galax in here
http://www.galaxquery.org/
http://www.research.att.com/viewProject.cfm?prjID=309

3. maybe look at Xquare http://xquare.objectweb.org/

Cheers,