[xquery-talk] Re: The State of Native XML databases

Ronald Bourret rpbourret at rpbourret.com
Tue Aug 21 22:29:17 PDT 2007

Barring the pathological cases where you only perform the update based
on the number of siblings, a parent's child count doesn't affect an update.

I meant that the locking mechanism needs to avoid conflicts such as the
one where one transaction attempts to update a node and another
transaction attempts to delete an ancestor of the node, thus deleting
the node being updated. While it is OK to do this in serial fashion, it
is a problem to do it concurrently. (There are other similar cases, but
the ancestor-deletion case is easiest to understand.)

It sounds like intentional locks (which are roughly what I meant by
"no-delete" locks) would solve this problem.

-- Ron