[xquery-talk] Finding a XML-Database to fit our needs

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Sat Dec 15 18:01:31 PST 2007

> your shopping list appears to perfectly fit the capabilities
> of DB2 V9 and its built-in pureXML XQuery processor.  This
> particularly relates to your requirement to host extensive
> collections of moderately sixed XML documents.  DB2 V9 is
> definitely worth a look, I'd say.

Certainly worth a look, but in my view using a database that does relational
data as well as XML has a big downside in terms of complexity. There's a lot
of functionality there that you don't need, and you can't ignore it - it
keeps popping up in all sorts of places, and it colours the whole flavour of
the product. Also, if you're in the position where you need to convince and
re-educate your developers to do everything the "pure XML" way, it's a good
idea to use technology that doesn't give them any choice.