[xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

bryan rasmussen rasmussen.bryan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 09:42:15 PDT 2008

> solve.
>
>  The top major complains were:
>  (a) is too complicated to understand (tutorials, books !?)

I agree, when I look at the XQuery stuff I have it seems to have a
strong academic flavor, as well as a focus on XML based problems.

examples:
1. lots of focus on the 'books' problem, like if I have a list of book
authors listed how do I deal with it. That might have an interest to
typical document people, but I think it would be more useful if a book
was completely focused on - use XQuery to manage the various flavors
of syndication now around, show querying a large base of different
versions of RSS and Atom it might be useful to the Web 2.0 folks.

2. FLWOR is an unhelpful acronym. It seems off-putting. Don't know
why, but if I try to think about it divorced from its meaning it just
strikes me as a problem. It's an aesthetic feeling.

>  (b) there are no good example of how to use it  (repositories of open
> source useful XQuery modules !? CRM, etc)

part of that would be solved if the examples in tutorials were
basically all using things that are more useful for web programming as
opposed to just XML processing. I think this is one of the reasons I
find eXist interesting, because lots of what they do seem essentially
focused on meeting the needs of web programmers in one way or another.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen