XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

Jason Hunter jhunter at servlets.com
Fri Apr 25 16:23:44 PDT 2008

Peter Coppens wrote:

> If XQuery has the ambition to become a general
> (data) processing language it will have to integrate (or work)
> seamlessly with <your preferred oo programming language> object model.

I see XQuery as a general _content_ processing language.  Emails are
content.  So are books, magazines, tutorials, lesson plans, flight
manuals, governmental records, IRS filings, and so on.

These things fit poorly into a classical object model.

Question: How do you model a mixed content article in Java?

Answer: Not very effectively.  :)

Most people think of content as something you hold as a blob and access
via its metadata or simple textual search.  If instead you think of
content as a rich description language, then you will see the world like
we do on MarkMail.  It's about content, not data.  And putting Java in
the picture would be a royal pain because mixed content things like
email aren't nearly as effectively modeled in Java as they are in XML.

This is why Daniela is onto something.  Most Web 2.0 apps are content
apps, not data apps.

-jh-