XQuery as a general data processing language WAS: [xquery-talk] XQuery and Web 2.0

Daniela Florescu dflorescu at mac.com
Fri Apr 25 19:40:25 PDT 2008

> What do you think about e.g. LINQ which from what I understand of it
> seem to try and deal with this integration/mismatch problem? Would
> that not better fit better under the "general data processing"
> language umbrella?

No, personally I don't think LINQ is the solution. For the following
reasons:

(a) the XML they support is a bastardization of the normal XML
so it will satisfy only some users (I never understood their choice on
that...POX is very
powerful)

(b) they only support a subset of the processing facilities that
people need
(e.g. groupby, full text, windowing, dynamic namespace generation,
etc, etc).
For the rest you go back to low level programming.

(c) There is no way low level programs in C#+ XML/LINQ  can  be
optimized automatically
as well as XQuery can be  optimized automatically on large volumes of
data, and/or indexed
data (I am willing to take a beer bet with Erik Meijer any time on
that :-)))

and finally (and probably the most important, or the fundamental
factor):

(c) the world needs a good non proprietary language for data processing.

This is a way too important problem for people to accept to be locked
in by a
specific vendor, with no open source implementations.

Best regards
Dana