[xquery-talk] Where Clause and XDT:Untyped Issues

Wei, Alice J. ajwei at indiana.edu
Sat Feb 2 17:12:06 PST 2008

Hi, Michael:

  Thanks, I did not realize that my <head type="main"> and <head type="sub"> can bring so many of these relevant errors.

   I have fixed up the code to as follows:

let $ad := fn:collection("xmldb:exist://db/my")//ad
let $sorted_result:=
for $doc in distinct-values($ad)
where contains($ad/head[@type='sub'],'Baseball')
order by $doc
return $doc
for $r at $count in $sorted_result
let $nodes := $ad[. = $r]
return
<ad>
<statistics>
Showing Result: {$count} / {count($sorted_result)}
</statistics>
{$nodes}
</ad>

This produces no type error issues, but neither does it bring back results.

If I  change the where clause to where contains($doc,'Baseball'),
it brings back something like the one in the following:

<ad>
<statistics> Showing Result: 1 / 1</statistics>
<ad>
<head>
<emph rend ="bold deepink">Hostess</emph>
is back with new Baseball Cards...to collect and trade with your friends.</head>
<emph rend ="bold orange">3 Free Baseball Cards</emph>
<emph rend ="bold">on specially marked boxes of Hostess® Snack Cakes.</emph>
<emph rend ="sup">®</emph>
, Cup Cakes, Suzy Q's
<emph rend ="sup">®</emph>
, and other mmmmmmmm-delicious Hostess
<emph rend ="sup">®</emph>
Snacks. </p>
<note>®Hostess. Twinkies and Suzy Q's are registered trademarks of ITT Continental Baking Co.
<lb/>
Offer expires August 31, 1976</note>
</ad>
<!--Another duplicate of the <ad>  -->
</ad>

Is it possible that I cannot utilize the where clause at all here? Or, do I have to call up using another user-defined function?

Thanks for your help.
Alice Wei
MIS 2008
Indiana University Bloomington