[xquery-talk] [ANN] XQuery as a scripting language in IE

COUTHURES Alain alain.couthures at agencexml.com
Fri Mar 27 09:59:02 PST 2009

Hello,

I also think that XQuery can be very nice at client-side, especially
with XForms. I already looked at Zorba...

When a plug-in is necessary, it means that public use is a problem and
that version management is difficult.

My project named XSLTForms is a client-side implementation of XForms
based on XSLT and Javascript. For this, I had to write XPath expression
analysis with XSLT 1.0 only. It's complex but didn't required more than
few days. The result is a sort of compiled expression easy be to
executed by Javascript. Surprisingly, the XSLT transformation is fast
and the generated Javascript is light.

XSLT 1.0 and Javascript are well supported and stable in recent browsers
such as IE, FireFox, Opera and Safari/Chrome. I don't like to have to
wait for editors to implement recommendations and some of them prefer
invent new "revolutionary" stuff instead...

Let me add that this architecture (XSLT transformation then generated
Javascript code execution) permit people to easily add the specific
functions they could require.

Version 1.0 of XSLTForms has to be released before implementing XQuery
instruction analysis in it but I now think it's possible without too
many difficulties (I would have liked a reasonable XML notation for
XQuery...). As XSLTForms is already an opensource project, contributors
are welcome to join !

Alain COUTHURES
<agenceXML>
Bordeaux, France