[xquery-talk] Constructing namespace nodes

Andrew Welch andrew.j.welch at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 09:37:16 PST 2011

Hi David,

> My point is that from the XML perspective,  "unused" namespace declarations
> and "namespaces in content" are so lightly bound, if at all, that it's a
> fragile representation that can disappear 'seemingly without cause' . (of
> course there IS cause but it may not be either obvious or in direct control
> of the user/process).
>
> However I think this is a known issue with namespaces in general ... I'm
> just hoping for some magic trick with a good deal of resiliency to
> processing and representation, and to me 'unused' namespace declarations are
> not resilient.   Rabbits anyone ?

It sounds like you would like to add namespace declarations at one
stage in the pipe, that aren't used at that stage but will be used at
a later stage, and the problem is a) creating them using xquery and b)
the unused namespaces getting stripped - is that right?

What would be the benefit of doing that, instead of just declaring
them at the point they are used, and then just letting the serialiser
take care of it?

cheers
andrew

--