[xquery-talk] variable references in location steps

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Fri Feb 25 09:45:36 PST 2011

Let's simplify this down to essentials: what does //a/$e return when $e
is a sequence of nodes? (We'll assume $e contains no duplicates and is
in document order.) The answer is, it returns $e. Technically, it
evaluates $e once for each node in //a, combines the results and sorts
them into document order and eliminates duplicates; and the result of
doing that is the original value of $e.

You seem to be working on the assumption that $e is not a set of nodes,
but some kind of function or expression which only reduces to a set of
nodes when it is called, and that it can return different sets of nodes
depending on the context when it is called. That's not the case.
Evaluation might well be deferred until first use, but the context for
evaluation is the context at the point where the variable is
initialized, not the context where it is used.

Looks like a serious bug in eXist to me.

Now, what are you trying to achieve? If it's code reuse, you need
functions. If it's performance, just try to avoid that double "//" in a
single path expression. I know evaluation strategies for path
expressions vary between one engine and another, and a leading "//"
sometimes makes things slower and sometimes faster, but I would imagine
that repeated use of "//" in a single path will always cause trouble.

Michael Kay
Saxonica