[xquery-talk] Serializing using fn:put()

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Wed Mar 23 09:52:56 PST 2011

On 23/03/2011 08:31, Vyacheslav Zholudev wrote:
> Thanks, Michael and Matthias, for the replies!
>
> Out of curiosity, what are the reasons that it's not easily doable in "pure" XQuery?
>
> Vyacheslav

Questions about why a committee designing a language made a particular
decision are always difficult to answer - every member of the committee
has different motivations. But when a feature is missing from the
language, the reason is often that no-one proposed adding it. If you
want to know why no-one proposed it, then you'll have to ask a lot of
individual people why they didn't propose it. It ends up being due to
the use cases they had in mind for the language. For me, it was probably
because I've always felt that some tasks were more in XSLT's area than
in XQuery's. Splitting a single input document into multiple outputs was
actually one of the first things Saxon was used for, and was the first
extension that Saxon introduced to XSLT 1.0, before finding its way into
the XSLT 2.0 specification.

Michael Kay
Saxonica