[xquery-talk] XML/XQuery academic conferences ?

Daniela Florescu dflorescu at mac.com
Wed Oct 12 12:33:42 PDT 2011

David,

On Oct 12, 2011, at 11:51 AM, David Lee wrote:

> Question.
> 1) What are "the other problems" with Balisage ?

I love Balisage. But:

- Too narrowly focused I would think. ( Looks like an old family reunion
-- which is indeed pleasant :-)
( As an example, few people with database background
participate to it. Few people with serious IR background. Few number
of newcomers
every year, and they are not encouraged when they do)

- Too small, community isn't large enough.

- DNA has little to do with the research community (just check how
many people are coming from academia in the committee..)

But yes, I enjoy reading the papers in Balisage, too, and I enjoy the
family feeling too when i go there.

> 2) What qualifies as "academic cloud" (clout?).

This I think I understand well enough. I've been a researcher long
enough.

I would say, the bare minimum requirements:
- publications should be copyrighted (which in XML Prague and Balisage
I am not sure they are)
- that has to be some official affiliation with ACM http://www.acm.org/
- that has to be an official and more rigurous  selection process,
published
and followed ad literam.
- submissions should be more serious (not only "send us a paragraph
and we believe
you because we've been knowing you for decades")

But it's a longer discussion.

> Way back when I was in collage Software of any kind wasn't considered
> "academic" ... it was considered 'beneath the level' of any true
> academic

Yes, but things changed. And it's time they change for XML too.

> ... which is probably why I dont look to PhD's when I'm looking for
> a good
> software person.

Well, that's a surprising view for me.

( I don't REQUIRE a Phd when I look for a good developer, but nor do I
disqualify people
because they have one. I am taking my good developers wherever I find
them. )

If they weren't any software academics,  there would be no software
professors,
and if there are no software professors, there will be no  software
students. If there are no students,
there is no critical mass.

Etc. Etc. Etc. The vicious circle.

The major complaint right now for XQuery is: we have enough
implementations; yet
  there are not enough programmers who know it.

How can we get out of this if we don't teach it ?

There has been a huge amount of work that has been spent by database
people (e.g. Jim Gray) in the 80's before they managed to raise
traditional databases to the level of
"class being thought in universities". This effort has a large
correlation with the spread of databases today, obviously.

I think that XML and markup languages would beneficiate  now from a
similar effort,  or from being thought
in Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, Wisconsin, ETH, Imperial College, etc, etc.

Such classes cannot be thought without a professor, and a professor
needs to get an official job, and
  for that he needs publications in a community recognized by his
university peers.

I am judging whether is good , or bad, or evil, or not. But that's how
it works in practice.

Hence my practical question: how do we get out of here ?

Best regards
Dana