[xquery-talk] XML/XQuery academic conferences ?

David Lee dlee at calldei.com
Thu Oct 13 03:50:45 PDT 2011

Daniela ...
I think your onto something.  I think I've seen a different sample set then
you.
The industry's I've typically been in are not 'exciting' for a person who
has focused on PhD level topics,
they are more pragmatic industries (Healthcare, Manufacturing, Mobile,
Publishing, Advertising).   Where the jobs are more engineering oriented so
we didn't attract the theoretical types ...  I think the only PhD's we
attracted were people who stayed in school because they couldn't handle the
thought of actually getting a job but eventually (in the US at least) once
you get your PhD you either need to enter Academia as a profession or hit
the streets ... we wouldn't be the first choice for anyone who had high
goals of getting a research position.

Also as Mike points out (in a future email) I actually think the US and UK
are more similar then he thinks  in the regards as Academia mutually
disrespecting industry.  At least when I gradated 30 years ago.
I was at a fairly prestigious university (Caltech) and even there was a
schism.   The Engineering dept was looked down on from the "Pure Science"
departments (Physics, Math, Chemistry, Biology).  At that point there was no
CS dept at all (it was hidden in  Engineering and Applied Scientists).
The Pure Scientists (who self-selected themselves as being at the top of the
intellectual tower) believed overall that if their work had any practical
application then it wasn't worthy of study.    The Engineers (even at the
same school) were the bottom of the rung ...  And below that (sadly) were
the women.
My girlfriend at the time (who was in Physics, much more brilliant then I)
was *literally* told by her advisor that she was wasting the school's and
donor's money by being there because once she graduated she'd just get
married and raise a family and never put her skills to use to society.

Anyway what an interesting (to me) digression.
And I'm no closer to having any practical suggestions to your real question.
How to get smart people interesting in doing real work in XML.   I just dont
see Academia as the path to that as others have said, its not at the early
stages of innovation.   So let's compare it to Engineering.   Where do you
get Engineers who come up with better ways to do things like say build cars
or buildings ? Or even make better computers ?     I see these advances
coming mostly from Industry,  and only occasionally from Academia.   Once in
a while you see an advance in Engineering come of a university then industry
takes it up and turns it into something practical.   But I'm sorry that
doesn't help the young person in collage who needs to get research
sanctioned in order to be able to spend time on it.
( any more then it helps me convince my boss to let me work 50% of my time
on research instead of development - and still pay me.   ).
-David

David A. Lee
dlee at calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org