[xquery-talk] let's comment out a line in XQuery

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Fri Dec 21 06:49:53 PST 2012

... whether there is any good reason plain {} doesn't generate () (an
empty sequence)?

I'm not aware that the idea has ever been proposed and discussed in the
WG. I've no idea whether it would find favour. Probably not; minor
tweaking for minor usability benefits doesn't usually attract much
enthusiasm. You might find someone in the WG has grand ideas to use the
same syntax for something else, like an empty map or array, and wants to
hold it in reserve for that, and on past experience that would probably
win the argument.

Michael Kay
Saxonica