[xquery-talk] here it comes, yet another version of XQuery and/or JSONiq

Kristian Kankainen kristian at keeleleek.ee
Wed Jun 10 00:26:59 PDT 2015

Hello

Dana, not to defend those guys, but to describe my understanding of how
those guys think ...

I think it has to do with our more general, call it cognitive, human
language capacities. It is much easier for humans to use the metaphors
that they allready know, than it is to learn new metaphors. Thus, I
think sadly, it is "easier" for people to (re-)invent a language based
on their own underlying metaphors, than to learn the metaphors that are
implicit in any allready existing language. Languages and the metaphors
they get fuelled by are so totally meshed together it is hard to tell
them apart, thus it is easier to keep them apart by reinventing them.

The above is totally philosophical and has perhaps nothing to do with
computer languages nor with human cognitive skills (since it tends to be
utterly hard to prove them) and reflects only my own thoughts.

The above has come to me mainly while reflecting Alan Kay's saga. His
object-orientation(ism), graphical user interfaces or even his saying
that "with a good enough programming language, there is no need for an
operating system". I mean, the world as I know it (I was born long after
Alan Kay thought of those things) seems to have understood absolutely
nothing of what he was trying to tell! And most upsetting is that I have
real hard times trying to understand Kay's world so that I can give my
child a computer with SmallTalk instead of an absurd touchscreen device
that calls itself smart.

You are good at guessing games and it is really sad to see history
repeat itself. Guessing kind of implies something repeating. Alan Kay
has also criticized computer science to be a popular culture.

Kristian K

10.06.2015 06:07, daniela florescu kirjutas: