[xquery-talk] Izzit Bcos I is functional?

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Tue Jun 16 01:20:34 PDT 2015

Yes, it’s the wrong place to ask. But my guess would be:

(a) XSLT is well entrenched for doing many of the jobs that could also be done with XQuery.

(b) Lots of programmers, given a new job to do, prefer to use the tools they know, such as Java, PHP, or C#, rather than learning a specialized tool

(c) In the database arena, there is strong corporate resistance to increasing the variety of database technology in use within an enterprise.

(d) Resistance in some quarters to using XML as the automatic solution for long-term storage of “semi-structured data”.

These are actually all (at least in some cases) legitimate objections; but they are all compounded by fear of the unknown (which is also legitimate).

Don’t assume that failure to adopt XQuery is because of resistance to adopting XQuery. The reason I haven’t adopted Erlang isn’t because I’m resistant to it; I’ve just never had a requirement that caused me to think “It’s time I considered Erlang as the solution to this problem”. There are an awful lot of good technologies competing for attention out there and no one has time to look at them all.

Michael Kay
Saxonica