[xquery-talk] Izzit Bcos I is functional?

Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 00:34:58 PDT 2015

I still think you are wildly over-estimating this.

Here is the Purdue course. XQuery|Path gets 1 slide in 1 lecture

https://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/ake/cs348/XMLLec1.ppt

At UCL the only time I recall XML being mentioned was in the context of
setting up an Ant files in the 2nd year Programming course.

Databases in general only merited 1/3 of a course
http://www.cs.ucl.ac.uk/teaching_learning/syllabus/undergrad/2008_logic_and_database_theory/

There is a 3rd year Databases and MIS course which may well offer more the
type of coverage you are suggesting but that is an elective.

There is also this https://www.ucl.ac.uk/dis/taught/pg/INSTG037 that does
the full XML monty, but that is a PG diploma course and it is not run out
of CS.

Ironically about 10 years ago UCL was the source of  alot of XML related
research especially for the financial markets.

NB It is also a big part of the BCS Advanced Databases curriculum but again
that course is not mandatory.