[xquery-talk] Izzit Bcos I is functional?

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Fri Jun 19 11:04:10 PDT 2015

> JSON wasn’t designed for databases any more than XML was. Both were designed for messages. XML at least was designed for long-life messages, while JSON was designed for throwaway messages.

I agree that both were (originally) designed for messages. But I don’t think it has anything to do with the level of persistence
or their lifetime.

Let’s ignore for a second why they were created in the first place, and let’s look at how are they used now — very often
the original intent is not the final use. And, of course, both are used in more circumstances then simple messaging, but
 let’s focus on the message use case.

XML is now used as a message format between INDEPENDENT systems (e.g UBS wants to talk to Bank of America).
They have  NO CHOICE then to use XML is this case, because:
- they need a standard (if things go wrong… who’s fault it is !?)
- they need a pre-agreed schema ( otherwise how do they know they understand each other ?)

JSON is of no use in this case, at least for now, because (a) not a standard and (b) doesn’t have a schema

JSON is used today as a message format between client/server parts of the SAME system. There speed is the main requirement,
and XML is too heavy in size and parsing time, so it is of no use.

In both cases, those messages will be logged, and hence persist somewhere.

Nobody throws away data those days, of a variety of reasons… big data analysis (or at least the hope for it..), audit, security, etc.

So, no, I don’t think XML vs. JSON is a matter of persistence vs. not.

Best regards, have a great weekend
Dana