[xquery-talk] Does XQuery fit anywhere in this landscape.

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Tue Jun 23 10:16:34 PDT 2015

> On Jun 23, 2015, at 10:04 AM, Michael Kay <mike at saxonica.com> wrote:
>

>> Don’t blame the database people that they don’t “get” XML. On one hand, it has never been explained
>> to them properly.
>>

> Long before XML (about 1990, I think) I submitted a VLDB paper about a database/repository holding software engineering artifacts whose structure/schema was defined in BNF. Two of the reviewers gave it 9/10, two of them gave it 2/10. So yes: the traditional database research community, of whom Stonebraker was for many years the high priest, has problems understanding data outside their traditional customer/orders/suppliers domain.

Yes, Michael, you are right. I was for many years one of “them".

It wasn’t easy for me to understand the “other” side of the story.
(and with me, many other database people like Don Chamberlin, etc)

This mixture of knowledge and mixture of communities with strong beliefs
 is not easy to do AT ALL.

That’s why I don’t expect miracles and I don’t expect masses of database people to suddenly see the “light”
and suddenly jump on XQuery or JSONiq.

What WILL convince them though is a strong use case, a vertical where tons of money can be made.

Think AI/machine learning. For how many decades those guys were working in their corner, ignored and
humored ……until SUDDENLY, Google realized that they can make LOTS OF MONEY with their work !?

What XQuery or JSONiq need right now are strong use cases. Stuff that can be done with XQuery or JSONiq, but cannot
be done otherwise.

Best regards
Dana