[xquery-talk] Sequence comprehension WAS: SQL vs. XQuery (aka FOR vs FROM and RETURn vs. SELECT)

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Tue Jun 23 18:04:59 PDT 2015

Pavel,

> Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem that imperative patterns (variable assignments etc) can be optimized perfectly well so long as they're constrained (e.g. if the variable is local and no aliases are ever leaked). Basically, so long as you can clearly contain state changes, you can rewrite the whole thing as a purely functional monad, and that can be analyzed and optimized same as any other declarative data flow.

You say your developers are not productive if they use a new language, but they’ll be OK with you limiting
their beloved language that they used for millennia !?? :-)))

I think it is theoretically possible, but psychologically not feasible.

Once you give people some freedom to do something, it’s very hard to take it back. (and what about all
the legacy code!?)

Those “limits” have to be imposed directly in the language if you want faster improvements in the right direction….
otherwise I’m going to retire before this happens…:-)

Best regards
Dana