[xquery-talk] xquery 3.1 wishlist

Adam Retter adam.retter at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 28 11:57:38 PDT 2015

On 28 June 2015 at 19:35, Christian Grün <christian.gruen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One more consideration: function calls seem to be more expensive than inline
>> expressions. And then there's that baggage of a custom library...
>
> Doesn't that depend on the implementation? Functions may e.g. be
> inlined and further compiled, and the evaluated expression may differ
> a lot from the original expression.

Agreed. That is entirely down to the specific implementation.
Different implementations offer different optimisations (or not). For
example loop-unrolling, TCO, DCE, etc, etc. Function Inlining is just
another optimisation that an implementation could offer where
appropriate.

--
Adam Retter

skype: adam.retter