[xquery-talk] Saxon-SA versus Xalan

Roger Holmes roger.holmes76 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 16:02:25 PDT 2008

Hi, I am in the early stages of working with Saxon-B but was wondering as to the added benefits of Saxon-SA's transformation with schema validation versus Xalan with Xerces.
My understanding is that Xalan provides support for Xerces to do XML transformation and schema validation.

My understanding also is that Saxon ultimately expands an Xquery string does its conversion and at some stage hold its resultSet as XML nodes. Can these XML nodes prior to output by Saxon-B be transformed and validated via Xalan and Xerces ?

I  think I've answered my own question in a way, is the flaw in my logic that validation with Xalan will only happen after a successful / unsuccessful output of XML nodes whereas Saxon does it on the route to generating XML ?

OR is the difference that the Saxon implementation simply offers far better performance to make Xalan a consideration ?

Thanks,
Roger