[xquery-talk] Saxon-SA versus Xalan

Michael Kay mike at saxonica.com
Sat Oct 25 18:10:39 PDT 2008

Are you talking XQuery or XSLT? Because Xalan is an XSLT processor, and this
is an XQuery list. (Saxon does both XSLT and XQuery).

You can of course run schema validation prior to transformation using a
schema processor that is entirely separate from the XSLT or XQuery engine.
(You can can then choose any schema validator, including Saxon-SA or Xerces,
and any transformation engine, including Saxon-B or Xalan). But this isn't
the same as running a schema-aware transformation or query. When you run a
schema-aware transformation or query, as well as ensuring that the input
document is valid against the schema, you also get additional benefits:

* compile-time checking of the query or transformation code against the
schema

* optimization of the query or transformation to take advantage of schema
knowledge

* polymorphic operations based on schema-defined types, for example sorting
dates as dates and numbers as numbers.

  _____