[xquery-talk] A walk down Sesame St - counting for simpletons

Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka at gmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:29:24 PDT 2014

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM, Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is it really necessary to have ask for small complete runnable
>>> samples... isn't that common mailing list etiquette these days?
>>>

>> Mailing list etiquette eh.
>>
>> The pasted screen print of the query and the result it gave - was  not
>> enough? You want me to do more work to satisfy a curiosity that I no
>> longer have because you still harbour it?
>
> No it's not enough:

Nah let's deal with you once and for all. After all you are on
repeatedly record as enjoying this sort of stuff.

> it's not a small complete runnable sample so
> people can recreate what you are asserting.  You make a statement,
> people question it, then you never back it up.  You try and close the
> thread down.  I've lost count of the threads you've started that have
> ended like this...

Thats because you're like one of those kids in the playground that
think that everybody has to play the game you want to play by the
rules you want to play by and talk about what you want to talk about
in the way you want to talk about it (code not words right! because
Andrew said so).

>> DC gave an illuminating answer and I  have clarified that my curiosity
>> is in seeing a formulation that used the / or ! operators. Did that
>> part of the conversation pass you by?
>
> No - I was talking about how $seq/count(.) will always produce a
> sequence of 1s  (or () as was noted to me offlist)   Remember you
> called me a plonker for saying that?

I returned the compliment. Everybody on our side of the Atlantic knows
what rodders is a euphemism for.

Mike S and the eXist developers seem to have made the same mistake
(which I'll come back to later) - are they plonkers too?

>> This may sound patronising (where've I heard that
>> before) but you can generally be relied upon to proffer a
>> spectacularly insular perspective to a discussion, so invariably  I
>> don't want to stick around responding to everything you want to say.
>
> Don't respond then.

And when you don't get a response you complain that people make
statements they don't back up. I almost said it was amazing how you
can simultaneously hold both positions in the course of one reply but
actually it's not.

Look if your primary objective was a professional one then the
observation to have made in this thread  (which someone else already
did) is that there seems to be a buggy XQuery implementation at play
here. Because if a stream of ones is the correct response and thats
what is returned then what happened to cause that  is immediately
apparent.

You on the other hand harbour the pathetically juvenile viewpoint that
the scenario offered an opportunity to come on here and josh d**ks.
Why? Maybe you were the puny kid at school who used smarts at other
peoples expense instead of fists to build self esteem. That stops
working when l you come across a kid who is both bigger and smarter.

While we are on the subject of childhoods, you know all those kids who
say "My mother told me that if you can't say something nice about
someone you shouldn't say anything at all".

Well my mother never told me that.

Keep bringing it fool.