[xquery-talk] Aggressivity and the Database Bubble WASRe: Linkedin humor for the weekend (2)

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Tue Jun 16 13:30:25 PDT 2015

First, the fact that there EXISTS a “Technical level” section in this blog is fundamental.
(and yes, I am a fan of Kellogg’s blogs, too, even if I don’t agree with him always).

First, at that time, technical considerations STILL EXISTED.

E.g. could one of you tell me the technical detail implementations between CouchDB and MongoDB  !?

Huh !? They are both just quickly put together hacks, without any architecture….and no-one, including their own engineers and their
own customers CARES or even KNOWS about the technical details. Tons of my database friends went to work for Mongo and then left in 2-3 months
screaming ….

(I wonder if you ask the average MongoDb “database” developer what a page locking is if you even get an answer…:-)

===========

Second, yes, sure business wars always existed and will always exist. And it’s a good thing.

Trust me, working at Oracle for 8 years, I’ve seen my share of “business wars” and related strategies…...

But when Kellogg cites Geoffrey Moore’s “tornado’.

"The tornado refers to Geoffrey Moore’s <http://www.tcg-advisors.com/who/moore.htm> metaphor for the hypergrowth phase of a high-tech, infrastructure market.”

I agree that during such a “tornado”… the best is to acquire as many customers as possible.

But Moore refers to a REAL customer growth tornado, not an current ARTIFICIAL growth that is 100% due to the pressure from VCs
— they need to reimburse the money back to the pension funds they took it from in a fixed interval of X years.

I am 100% convinced that this “database bubble” is artificially inflated by VCs billions poured in. More and more articles by Forbes show that —
enterprises play with the new solutions, but few actually deploy those solutions.

This is not only, as it was in the 80 and 90, only a matter of who has the best sales team, and gets the EXISTING projects. (and yes, Oracle did..)

This artificial bubble pushes  vendors to become idiot zombies:  create “customers" out thin air,  bullshiting the few who are open to buy new things into
believing in aliens, and completely treat them like idiots by ignoring the state of the art.

This is not a case of Moore’s tornado.

One more day passed… one more day closer to the death of this database bubble… :-)

Have a great day,
Dana