[xquery-talk] Izzit Bcos I is functional?

Ihe Onwuka ihe.onwuka at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 00:05:10 PDT 2015

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 6:21 PM, daniela florescu <dflorescu at me.com> wrote:

> What are they. Alot of the ones I have read aren't true and seem to be
> based on a lack of knowledge about XML
>

> I think I KNOW something about XML — not that I enjoyed learning it, but I
> HAD to :-)
>
> Want a quick list ? processing instructions, weirdo parsing rules that are
> inherited from the 1950’s SGML, weirdo design
> of namespaces, XML Schema anyone !? nillable anyone !? Some early design
> of Xpath 1.0 (no reserved keywords, semantics of =)
>  I’ll stop here.
>
> Only those and that would stop me (as a database person) right there to
> use XML as a format for data.

But you can pretty much model the semantic equivalent of JSON data without
having to use a Schema, namespace, PI or any  traverse any other of these
treacherous terrains. Call it XML the Good Parts (Hmmmm where did I get
that idea from). JSON is a very expensive over-reaction. There was no need
to invent another format and then make in non-interoperable with XML.