[xquery-talk] Does XQuery fit anywhere in this landscape.

Pavel Velikhov pavel.velikhov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 09:28:56 PDT 2015

I see a bit use-case for JSONiq every day: its data integration, cleaning, sanity checking, publishing.
More and more people are building data-driven products, i.e. data that is productised in APIs and then used in simple Web Apps.
They start with dirty data that nicely fits into JSON paradigm, and then goes thought lots of stages, before it’s exported by API, this time definitely in JSON format.
There are many steps to collect, clean, refine, transform, merge, etc., and all of them will need to operate on the structure of the data, not just the fields.
So schemas are a must, all sorts of schema operations are extremely useful (compute statistics on what the common values for such and such fields are, how many JSONs contain this field)….

Right now there are no good tools for doing this, so actually I’m trying to start such a project (no fancy JSONiq processing, just basic interpreter, but with schema operations).

> On 23 Jun 2015, at 19:14, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Well he didn't comment on SQL for JSON per se but  saying that RDBMS are sub-optimal for everything is a tacit repudiation of SQL is it not?
>
> He buys into the notion that there will be swarms of data scientists doing clever things with data which will need a different language. I am continually surprised that people this smart believe that there is such a pool of people to draw from.
>
> He is right that statistical packages suck at data management but that won't isn't going to deter the R community.
>
> Do you see XQuery fitting anywhere in this vision. It has potential as a pipeling technology as does for that matter SQL. I think it will always be problematic to do analytics on the source data because it is too dirty.
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 11:51 AM, daniela florescu <dflorescu at me.com <mailto:dflorescu at me.com>> wrote:
> Ihe,
>

> I had discussions with Michael Stonebreaker for 20 years about about the fact that
> XML “exists” or not. With Jim Gray too, before he disappeared. They were both extremely
> supportive for me, yet were both thinking that I am crazy to waste my research career on XML.
>
> Stonebreaker’s  opinion: he doesn’t believe that XML “exists” in industry.
>
> So he will not mention it, because it doesn’t exist :-)
>
> But you have to remember that Stonebreaker is a database person. Probably he will not
> understand the facet of XML which is “XML as documents”. It took me and the other database
> people involved in XQuery years before we swallowed it. (Don Chamberlin of SQL fame
> famously once said “who in the world would care about such a corner case as mixed content !?").
>
> Don’t blame the database people that they don’t “get” XML. On one hand, it has never been explained
> to them properly.
>
> And again, Stonebreaker, being a database person, he will look at “XML as data” aspect of the story.
> And this today is INDEED non-existing in industry, or almost. Or, when t is, it is mostly for log analysis.
>
> ============
>
> JSON will completely change the landscape, in surprising ways, that none of us can predict.
>
> And no, I trust that Michael Stonebreaker is too smart to believe that SQL is a solution to process JSON.
>
> But time will tell.
>
> Best regards
> Dana
>

>> On Jun 23, 2015, at 12:15 AM, Ihe Onwuka <ihe.onwuka at gmail.com <mailto:ihe.onwuka at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K0SWs1mOD0 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K0SWs1mOD0>
>>
>> By implication it puts the kibosh on SQL as the basis of a solution for  the future.

С уважением,
Павел Велихов
pavel.velikhov at gmail.com