[xquery-talk] SQL vs. XQuery (aka FOR vs FROM and RETURn vs. SELECT)

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Tue Jun 23 14:56:24 PDT 2015

Pavel, I hope you don’t mind that I forward your personal  email to the main list.

Thanks for the links.

Yes, I am of course aware of the history of it, but I don’t think everyone else is.

(I even gave feedback to Erik Meijer before he submitted this proposal to Bill Gates…. and I lost
a beer with him because we bet who among the two of us knows XML Schema better — and he did :-).

This reinforces the ideas that:

1. the principles of XQuery are orthogonal to XML itself and

2. spelling FROM and SELECT seems to matter to people A LOT.

Best regards
Dana