[xquery-talk] xquery 3.1 wishlist

daniela florescu dflorescu at me.com
Fri Jun 26 09:54:17 PDT 2015

>> (and the two haven’t been integrated until much later..)
>
> Which was of course a major failing of the original Xquery proposals.
> It was staggering that an W3C XML query language should _not_ start from
> that base.  Fortunately It was redrafted to sit over Xpath.
> XQuery 1 was basically (and should have been defined as) a non-xml
> syntax for a simplified subset of XSLT.

This is just Yet-Another-Example of how hard it is to integrate two communities,
with two different backgrounds, and very strong beliefs.

I remember the first couple of “joint” meetings when we were almost ready to annihilated each other ….
It is funny in retrospect, because lost of silly things were said on both sides …:-) i remember like it was yesterday…:-)

I am surprised that the integration worked as well as it did in the end, and we both ended up learning from
each other ….

(even if the fact that I “learned” XML doesn’t mean AT ALL that I LIKE it , even after 15 years ...! :-)

Best regards
Dana