[xquery-talk] xquery 3.1 wishlist

David Carlisle davidc at nag.co.uk
Fri Jun 26 09:41:25 PDT 2015

On 26/06/2015 17:27, daniela florescu wrote:
> David, Ken…
>
> You know the XPath/XSLT side of the story.
>
> I know the OTHER side: the XML Query Language Working Group side of the story

Yes I know that side of the story too (I think I read all the xquery
mailing list discussion, and implemented xquery 1 over XSLT, as you may
recall I think I was the first person to submit test results for an
Xquery 1 implementation to the XQ test suite:-)

> (and the two haven’t been integrated until much later..)

Which was of course a major failing of the original Xquery proposals.
It was staggering that an W3C XML query language should _not_ start from
that base.  Fortunately It was redrafted to sit over Xpath.
XQuery 1 was basically (and should have been defined as) a non-xml
syntax for a simplified subset of XSLT.

David,

The Numerical Algorithms Group Ltd is a company registered in England and Wales with company number 1249803. The registered office is:

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Microsoft Office 365.